Rescue md/6 array: advice please

Folks,

Just wanted some reassurance: my raid6 array died today when a controller died and took 3 of 5 disks out of the array. I think/hope the disks (1TB enterprise Seagate) are ok, but obviously the event counts are now different. Right now I don't have enough ports to plug in all disks at once so have just verified one of the missing disks does still work: am getting new board next week which should sort that lack. The event count of the missing disk was about 20 events lower than the latest disk's count. I do have a backup, but would prefer not to have to rely on it: if there is an error in restoring from the backup I don't have a third line of defence!

I believe the correct way forward is to force an mdadm assemble, with the failed-disk and readonly options, to build a minimal (3 of 5?) array, then assuming it works do an fsck to see if it checks out, then rotate for the best combination, then rebuild without readonly, then add in the rest of the failed disks.

Thanks in advance,
Ruth

--
Software Manager&  Engineer