Re: debugging md2_resync hang at raise_barrier

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:46:03 -0500 Ray Morris <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:44:13 -0600 Ray Morris <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I am attempting to debug a hang in raid1 and possibly one raid5.
>

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:34:18 +1100
> NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I might know what is happening.
> >
> > It is kind-a complicated and involved the magic code in
> > block/blk-core.c:generic_make_request which turns recursive calls
> > into tail recursion.
> > This patch might fix it.  Maybe.  If it compiles.
>
> That appears to have solved it. Thanks so much. The delay in my
> response is because I wanted to give it some time to recur, as it
> didn't always manifest right away. Is there anything I should do
> regarding this path in future versions? Is this patch already in or
> planned to be in future versions, or should users possibly keep the
> patch on hand in case it's still needed later? Is there any testing
> or anything that I need to do to get included in future versions?

Thanks a lot.

I will probably submit this fix to Linus shortly after 3.3 is out, with a
request for it to be included in other -stable releases.

You seem to be using kernels from Redhat.  If you want them to include the
patch you should probably raise it as an issue with them.

Thanks,
NeilBrown