Re: Striping does not increase performance.

On 12/03/2012 13:34, Caspar Smit wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know exactly which mailinglists to use for this one so I hope
i used the right ones.

I did some performance testing on a new system and found out some
things I couldn't explain or didn't expect.
At the end are some questions I hope to get answered to explain the
tings i'm seeing in the test.

For the next test I wanted to see if i could double the performance by
striping an LV over 2 md's (so instead of using 10 disks/spindles, use
20 disks/spindles)

So i added md1 to the VG as PV.

Created a fresh LV striped across the two PV's using a 64KB stripe
size and ran the test again.

Now the total IO's in 10 seconds are 16x larger than before. 190464 /
10 = 19046,4 / 16 = 1190,4 /16 = the reported 75 IOPS above.
So the 64KB blocks seem to be split into 4KB blocks (64 / 16 = 4)
which results in a way larger total IO's.
The IO's per disk seem to be in 64KB blocks still only now with a
large MERGE figure besides it. (Now 4KB blocks are merged into 64KB
blocks?)

LVM will stripe the data between the two md's with a default stripe size of 4K - thus the first 4K will go to md0, the second to md1, etc. This is obviously terribly inefficient. For 8+2 raid6 with 64KB chunks, you want a stripe size of 8x64K = 512KB when you create the logical volume.

The performance does not double but stays the same as with 1 MD set
only the total IO's are spread among the MD's. Each disk now does
around 60 IOPS!

I still wanted to see if I could double the performance and thought it
might have something to do with LVM striping so i ditched LVM and
created a RAID0 (md6) over md0 and md1 with a chunk size of 64KB
again.

Similarly here, you want your chunk sizes to fit a stripe on the raid devices, not to fit the underlying devices. So try with a chunk size of 512KB (or higher).

mvh.,

David