Re: Raid5 device hangs in active state

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:33:56 -0600 Larkin Lowrey <llowrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thank you for taking a look.
>
> I should be able to move the drives to a completely different controller
> (and driver) so that will be a good test.
>
> Could NCQ be an issue? IOW, do you think it would be worth disabling NCQ
> and re-running this scenario?

At this point I wouldn't want to exclude anything as a possible issue.  So
anything that you can turn off or on fairly easily would be worth checking.

If you turn off NCQ and the problem goes away, that isn't proof that NCQ is
the problem.  If it is a race condition, then removing NCQ could upset
timings just enough that you stop hitting the race window.  However if you
get acceptable performance without NFQ then it could turn out to be an
effective work-around even if it isn't the real problem.

NeilBrown