Re: RAID1 content under Windows OS

On 21/02/12 19:50, Álvaro López López wrote:
I have been able to create a RAID 1 device in a Linux 2.6.36 system
using mdadm command.

Both disks had been formatted using mkdosfs in order to be mounted
with type vfat. I also changed its label using cfdisk from "Linux" to
the "W95 FAT32".

After mounting the RAID1 device MD0 in the filesystem, I copy some
files inside the folder associated to the RAID1. I can see the
contents when MD0 is mounted inside Linux, not if disks are mounted
separately.

Then, when I connect both disks to a Windows XP or 7 OS I cannot see
any content inside them.

Is it possible to see the content? What can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Alvaro

I think it will be the metadata format that is the problem - by default, mdadm creates arrays with format 1.2 that is 4K from the start of the partition. But this will confuse windows (or anything else that tries to read the partition directly). If you create the array with format 1.0, the metadata is placed at the end of the partition and windows will not notice it, and will therefore it will be able to see the filesystem properly.

Of course, if you /change/ anything on the filesystem from within windows, you will completely screw the array.

mvh.,

David