Re: XFS on top RAID10 with odd drives count and 2 near copies

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM,  <keld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 01:40:25AM +0400, CoolCold wrote:
>> >
>> > You're welcome. ?You may or may not appreciate this reply. ?It got
>> > really long. ?I tried to better explain the XFS+md linear array setup.

>> > So you need LVM for snaps, got it.
>

> Well, I do not think LVM gives you snaps. I think you need to close down the mysql database
> to have a consistent DB, then make backup, then reactivate mysql. I may be wrong, tho.
You are a bit wrong here. MySQL in general supports two storage types
- MyISAM & InnoDB. While InnoDB is ACID transactional engine, MyISAM
isn't.
So, one should be able to backup InnoDB with snapshots without
interrupting workload and it will do recovery/transaction rollbackup
on startup.
For MyISAM engine, snapshots will produce unpredictable results as
partial update may happen. But, snapshots are useful in any case,
because they allow to do backup in 4 steps:
1) "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK" - this will flush all buffers and
close databases
2) lvcreate -s && unlock tables.... - doing snapshot of data and releasing lock
3) copying it somewhere
4) lvremove .... - releasing snapshot

So, in such situation, work will stop for 1) & 2) , not cosuming time for 3) .

> LVM is great if you want to resize partitions. XFS cannot be shrinked, tho, only grown.
> For snapshots you need somthing like btrfs. But to have the DB consistent you need to close it
> before taking a backup.
>
> And anyway, I think a 7 spindle raid10,f2 would be much faster than
> a md linear array setup, both for small files and for largish
> sequential files. But try it out and report to us what you find.
Quick & dirty iozone doesn't show this yet ...

> I would expect  a linear md, and also most other MD raids would tend to perform better in
> the almost empty state, as the files will be placed on the faster parts of the spindles.
> raid10,f2 would have a more uniform performance as it gets filled, because read access to
> files would still be to the faster parts of the spindles.
>

> best regards
> Keld
>
> ---

[snip]