Re: XFS on top RAID10 with odd drives count and 2 near copies

On 13/02/2012 13:09, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 2/12/2012 2:16 PM, CoolCold wrote:
First of all, Stan, thanks for such detailed answer, I greatly appreciate this!

You're welcome.  You may or may not appreciate this reply.  It got
really long.  I tried to better explain the XFS+md linear array setup.

There are several reasons for this - 1) I've made decision to use LMV
for all "data" volumes (those are except /, /boot, /home , etc)  2)
there will be mysql database which will need backups with snapshots 3)

So you need LVM for snaps, got it.

I often have several ( 0-3 ) virtual environments (OpenVZ based) which
are living on ext3/ext4 (because of extensive metadata updates on xfs
makes it the whole machine slow) filesystem and different LV because
of this.

This is no longer the case as of kernel 2.6.35+ with Dave Chinner's
delayed logging patch.  It's enabled by default in 2.6.39+ and XFS now
has equal or superior metadata performance to all other Linux
filesystems.  This presentation is about an hour long, but it's super
interesting and very informative:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegjLbCnoBw

OpenVZ is great for many purposes, but one unfortunate point is that because it is based on patches to a number of key parts of the kernel, it is only rarely re-synced to new kernels. It is currently stuck on 2.6.32, which means he can't use this feature (and nor can I - I also use OpenVZ and sometimes XFS, though I'm not too bothered about squeezing the last drops of performance out of the system).