Re: XFS on top RAID10 with odd drives count and 2 near copies

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM, David Brown <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 21:16, CoolCold wrote:
>>
>> First of all, Stan, thanks for such detailed answer, I greatly appreciate
>> this!
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Stan Hoeppner<stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote:

>>> Why use LVM at all?  Snapshots?  The XS13 has no option for more drives
>>> so it can't be for expansion flexibility.  If you don't 'need' LVM don't
>>> use it.  It unnecessarily complicates your setup and can degrade
>>> performance.
>>
>> There are several reasons for this - 1) I've made decision to use LMV
>> for all "data" volumes (those are except /, /boot, /home , etc)  2)
>> there will be mysql database which will need backups with snapshots 3)
>> I often have several ( 0-3 ) virtual environments (OpenVZ based) which
>> are living on ext3/ext4 (because of extensive metadata updates on xfs
>> makes it the whole machine slow) filesystem and different LV because
>> of this.
>>

> This is a bit off-topic, but do you know of any way to get OpenVZ running on
> a kernel newer than 2.6.32?  One important feature in 2.6.33 is mergeable
> LVM snapshots, which would be particularly useful for OpenVZ, such as when
> updating, upgrading or otherwise changing a virtual machine.  With mergeable
> snapshots you could take a snapshot, apply the changes to the snapshot, and
> if it works you merge them back into the main logical partition.
No, I do not know such solutions except _may be_ using RHEL
(Centos/SL) kernels as OpenVZ team does patches for RHEL kernels as
primary targets and RH may backport some features into their .32
kernel. So if RHEL will/does have mergable LVM snapshots, then you
will need to wait some time and OpenVZ featured kernels will have this
too.

--
Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]