Re: Please Help! RAID5 -> 6 reshapre gone bad

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:39:47 +1100 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I tried to assembe the array, to see if it would continue the reshape:
> >
> > root@raven:/# mdadm -Avv --backup-file=/usb/md0.backup /dev/md0
> > /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdg1
> >
> > Unfortunately mdadm had decided that the backup-file was out of date
> > (timestamps didn't match) and was erroring with: Failed to restore
> > critical section for reshape, sorry..
> >
> > Chances are things were in such a mess that backup file wasn't going
> > to be used anyway, so I blocked the timestamp check with: export
> > MDADM_GROW_ALLOW_OLD=1
> >
> > That allowed me to assemble the array, but not run it as there were
> > not enough disks to start it.
>
> You probably just need to add "--force" to the assemble line.
> So stop the array (mdamd -S /dev/md0) and assemble again with --force as well
> as the other options.... or maybe don't.
>
> I just tested that and I didn't do what it should.  I've hacked the code a
> bit and can see what the problem is and think I can fix it.
>
> So leave it a bit.  I'll let you know when you should  grab my latest code
> and try that.

Ok, that should work..
If you:

 git clone git://neil.brown.name/mdadm
 cd mdadm
 make
 export MDADM_GROW_ALLOW_OLD=1
 ./mdadm -Avv --backup-file=/usb/md0.backup /dev/md0 ..list.of.devices.. --force

it should restart the grow.  Once device will be left failed.  If you think
it is usable then when the grow completes you can add it back in.

If you get another failure it will die again and you'll have to restart it.

If you get a persistent failure, you might be out of luck.

Please let me know how it goes.

NeilBrown