Re: LVM striping RAID volumes

H Peter,

----- Original Message -----

That comment perplexes me as well. Who cares how many TRIMs go down into the
slave devices? My understanding is that it was the drive's job to figure out
TRIM-coalescing on it's own - the block queue limits at the very least specify a "max discard"
size, not a minimum one. (btw FITRIM is an fs ioctl afaik, it gets translated into
REQ_DISCARDs).

Anyway, I was just looking at supporting REQ_DISCARD within RAID1. I don't see it being
any different than handling other BIO flags like REQ_FUA etc. The only bit to watch out
for are not sending DISCARDs to a device which doesn't support them. I was looking at
discard as part of some other investigation which I will write about at a later point, but
if there was specific interest, I could refactor it out and post it for review.