Re: Preventative replacement of active RAID1 disks

On 22/01/12 00:09, Anssi Hannula wrote:
On 18.01.2012 19:04, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
List,

I have two 2-partition RAID1 sets, each with a spare. The SMART info for
both active disks suggests that I should replace them. Both of them. I
based this on the Seek_Error_Rate in the smartctl -a output (below).
[...]
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 family
Device Model:     ST3500418AS
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   079   060   030    Pre-fail
Always       -       93484948
[...]
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 family
Device Model:     ST3500418AS
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   079   060   030    Pre-fail
Always       -       97304022
[...]

I don't think these indicate any issue with the drives, all of my
Seagate disks have random big values in that attribute (from 11717390 to
103488378525).

The only use you get from the Seek_Error_Rate is if you have multiple of the same drive, with the same firmware in the same environment. You can then look for any outliers. I had this with 30 Maxtor Maxline-II drives, and looking at the seek error rates across the drives gave you a pretty good indicator of a drive that was in trouble as its count varied wildly from that of its siblings. Raw counts like that are manufacturer/family/firmware specific and in isolation mean nothing to the layman.

If you've got no reallocations, SMART tells you the drive is ok and you are not noticing any odd behaviour the chances of the drive being in distress are pretty slim.