Re: Invalidating the pages read from a disk which md marks as faulty later

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:11:38 +0530 Krishnakumar R
<krishnakumar.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does md invalidate the pages in the page cache for data read (earlier) from
> the disk, which md finds faulty, lets say due to an I/O error ?
> The assumption here is that since md found a disk to be faulty, the data
> which was earlier read and cached can be considered invalid. Thoughts ?
> I would assume that the pages would be backed by md device, hence is it
> possible to figure out which pages were given out with data from an
> underlying disk inorder to invalidate them ?

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense.

When you read from a disk, the disk drive itself does a CRC check to confirm
the data is valid.  It if isn't you don't get to see the data.  If it is, why
would you want to invalidate it?

If a device is "Faulty", that doesn't mean it has corrupted data.  It means
it has inaccessible on unchangeable data.

Though I might have  misunderstood you.  If you think I have, please give a
more detailed scenario of the situation that should be handled differently.

In any case, once md has returned the data to the caller there is nothing it
can do to "invalidate" it.

NeilBrown