Re: Renaming MD devices (metadata=1.1)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 01:39:59 -0500 Gilbert Kowarzyk <kowarzyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> Ok, I think I follow this, but I am not sure.
> >>
> >> What you are saying is that I am getting /dev/md127 because it's
> >>  not being created by udev right?
> >
> > You are getting md127 because you asked for
> > "/dev/md/xyz.home.linux.com:9" so it gave you that (look in
> > /dev/md) but it needs to give an 'mdXX' name to the kernel so it
> > chose 127 (because that is where it starts looking for free
> > numbers) and used that.  Don't worry about  the /dev/mdXX.  You
> > asked for "/dev/md/xyz.home.linux.com:9' in mdadm.conf,  you got,
> > so just use it and ignore the rest.
>
> OK, I think it makes sense now.
>

> [...]
> >> so expliciting the metadata=x is not needed? What's its use?
> >
> > Documentation. It doesn't hurt, and I want "mdadm -Db" to report
> > it, so if I allow it in mdadm.conf then it is easier to use the
> > output of "mdadm -Db" in mdadm.conf.
>
> I see. Well, that's also good to know.
>
> While we are at it, what is the reasons types 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 exist?
> - From what I understand "either at the end (for 1.0), at the start (for
> 1.1) or 4K from the start (for 1.2)".
>
> Why do we have these choices, and when should each be used?

1.0 (at the end) is best for RAID1 when booting from the device as the
boot-load just doesn't see the RAID at all.

1.1 (at the start) is generally good because various different things have
metadata at the start, so there is no chance of confusion about what is using
that devices - each possible users will overwrite the metadata of the others.
It is also easier to make the devices larger if you don't need to move the
metadata.

1.2 (4K from the start) has most of the benefits for 1.1 but works for
booting with newer boot loaders - they still want sector 0 for a boot sector
but understand the md superblock.

> >> I just left ARRAY UUID=0fa7f737:7806ca61:fb89edd6:14aa351a in
> >> /etc/mdadm.conf, rebooted, and it's still appearing as
> >> /dev/md127.
> >
> > Just as I would expect.  You didn't ask for a specific number, so
> > it just chose an arbitrary one.
>
> Ok.
>

> >> So I am not sure why... What may I be missing?
> >
> > Don't know.  Maybe you are expecting something that isn't needed.
> >
> > What exactly do you want?  And why?
>
> Well, to be honest, what I *really* wanted was to understand why I
> wasn't able to rename the arrays. I wanted to understand what the
> system was doing, because I don't like not understanding why my setup
> doesn't behave the way I expect it to. So, I wanted to learn what I
> was missing in my understanding.

Commendable!

NeilBrown

> How I came about wanting to know this is because I tried renaming the
> devices, and it wasn't working, despite me reading different people's
> posts on the net. I tried reading the documentation too, but I somehow
> missed reading about the updating of initramfs (I thought I only
> needed to do that if the device where "/" is changed names).
>
> Indeed, I could have continued keeping these devices named /dev/md127
> etc (there is no harm in having those names), but my mind just doesn't
> work that way...
> I had the need of understanding what was happening and why whatever I
> was trying to do wasn't working :)
>
> So I came about to your contributions to the source code, then to your
> blog page, then from there to emailing this list as you suggested :)
>
> I figured that if I were to ask these questions, I had to give as much
> info as possible to avoid wasting your time (which is why I pasted all
> the info I thought could matter, and tried to organize it a bit... as
> far as I had come to understand it).
>
> That's the whole story.
>
> So thanks again for taking the time for reading all of this :)
> You guys were really responsive!
>
> I wish you all a nice week!
>
> Gilbert

ÿôèº{.nÇ+?·?®?­?+%?Ëÿ±éݶ¥?wÿº{.nÇ+?·¥?{±þ¶¢wø§¶?¡Ü¨}©?²Æ zÚ&j:+v?¨þø¯ù®w¥þ?à2?Þ?¨è­Ú&¢)ß¡«a¶Úÿÿûàz¿äz¹Þ?ú+?ù???Ý¢jÿ?wèþf