Re: "md_raid5: page allocation failure" when resyncing on 3.2

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Roman Mamedov wrote:

In your backtrace I see the system was also handling a network transfer with the r8169 driver; do you use jumbo frames there (MTU over 1500)?

I've had page allocation failures for years. I've reported them, I don't receive any comments on them from the mm devs.

My solution:

vm.min_free_kbytes=524288

and I also had to have less aggressive tcp window setup, because my problems occured when I had a lot of tcp session setups and activity on them.

My interpretation is that the memory handling in linux when it comes to allocation failures isn't very robust, if some part is too aggressive in wanting memory, things die.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx