Re: SMART, RAID and real world experience of failures.

>>> I got a SMART error email yesterday from my home server with
>>> a 4 x 1Tb RAID6. [ ... ]

>> That's an (euphemism alert) imaginative setup. Why not a 4
>> drive RAID10? [ ... ]

> The main reason is the easy ability to grow the RAID6 to an
> extra drive when I need the space. I've just about allocated
> all of the array to various VMs and file storage. One thats
> full, its easier to add another 1Tb drive, grow the RAID, grow
> the PV and then either add more LVs or grow the ones that need
> it.

That's indeed an (euphemism alert) audacious plan. It has all
the popular ideas that I consider very brave indeed: RAID6,
LVM2, growing arrays in-place, growing filesystems in-place, and
of course VM images on top (following the usual logic I guess
that they will be sparse).

It has been my misfortune to see much the same audacious plan
setup by optimistic predecessors in a few workplaces, and then
having to turn that plan into a less brave one in a hurry when
it ended up as it would. But at least in your case it is just a
home setup.