Re: recovery from multiple failures

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:51:06 -0800 Keith Keller
<kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2012-01-09, Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > md/raid:md0: cannot start dirty degraded array.
>
> Upon further reading (specifically man md), it looks like this is the
> tail reason for the array not starting--the kernel will refuse to start
> arrays in this condition.  If I'm reading the docs and other posts
> accurately, it seems like I can use a kernel parameter (since this isn't
> my /, I should also be able to unload and re-load the md module) to
> force the kernel to start the array, at which point in theory I should
> be able to work with it (including, ultimately, an xfs_repair if
> needed).  But OTOH, it seems like this parameter applies only to / on
> mdraid, and --force should have started the array, so I'm not really
> sure what to make of it.
>
> I've posted this before, but the kernel I'm using is fairly recent,
> 2.6.39-4.el5 from ELrepo.
>
> --keith

--assemble --force certainly should start dirty/degraded array.
There was a bug a while back where it didn't.  Maybe you should try a newer
mdadm.

Alternately:

   echo 1 > /sys/module/md_mod/parameters/start_dirty_degraded

and try again.  That is an easy way to set the module parameter after the
module is loaded.

NeilBrown