Re: Install grub2 to /dev/md126 fails

On 06/01/2012 15:32, jlcenter@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to try again to build the raid1 array, but I was wondering
if the GPT partitions should be created first on the physical disks,
then create&  assemble the array?  Or, if the array should be
created&  assembled, then partition the array?  I'm raiding the whole
disk(s), not partitions.  Reading the wiki, I get the impression the
first way is preferable, but most of the descriptions I've read
on-line suggest doing the latter.   Also, for mdadm with GPT
partitions, is there any preferred order to the partitions, i.e.,
does the bios boot partition have to be the first partition on the
array?

If my understanding is correct, you want an IMSM array that can be booted by a uEFI BIOS? In which case, I think you need an array over the whole disks (which might give you a /dev/md127 for a container, and /dev/md126 for the data), GPT partition table over that, first partition a GPT boot partition (so you will be installing GRUB2 to /dev/md126p1 - this is NOT a filesystem partition), and then whatever you want after that, e.g. to keep it simple a /dev/md126p2 for swap and /dev/md126p3 for your filesystem.

If you don't have a uEFI BIOS, it gets more complicated; you will need a hybrid MBR with a traditional boot sector and at least the GPT boot partition exposed :-(

Caveat: I've read a lot but I haven't actually done this, so I may be talking rubbish...

Cheers,

John.