Re: SMART, RAID and real world experience of failures.

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 10:53:44 +1100
Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, in the spirit of experimentation, I did the following:
> # mdadm /dev/md2 --manage --fail /dev/sdd
> # mdadm /dev/md2 --manage --remove /dev/sdd
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=10M
> # mdadm /dev/md2 --manage --add /dev/sdd

Congratulations on doing absolutely the right thing, IMO :)

> Has the sector with the read failure been remapped and hidden from view?

More likely the drive decided the sector wasn't bad, after all. E.g. by overwriting the sector and thus allowing the drive to throw away old user data from it, you have also let the drive to rewrite the ECC or system area of that sector, or whatever they have today in hard drives on the low level.

If it was indeed remapped, then the logic would also require an increase in Reallocated_Sector_Ct; but SMART attribute readings do have a lot of peculiarities, many of which are also vendor-specific.

> Is it still (more?) likely to fail in the near future?

In my experience not at all, unless you start getting stuff like this every week.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,