Reasons why mdmon is not starting?

Hi,

When trying to understand why an existing Intel RAID1 volume always ends up in read-only state during a Debian installation attempt I saw from various posts on mailing lists that this is likely because mdmon isn't running. What possible reasons cause mdmon to exit?

I've tried several installation images and some have old versions of mdadm, which explains the problem for those cases, but I've also tried a recent live CD with the latest version (3.2.2), and I've tried starting the array manually, also with the latest version of mdadm/mdmon installed in /sbin. Somehow, mdmon either doesn't get started by mdadm or it exits prematurely without any indication of reasons in syslog.

When I try to start mdmon in a console it immediately exits without any message. What might be causing this? Any suggestions what to try?

Thanks,

Joachim

--
work:	joachima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx		http://www.netacquire.com