Re: system startup hangs

On 12/7/2011 4:00 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:38:05 -0700 "Richard B. Pyne"<rpyne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please forgive me if I ask stupid questions, I am fairly new to linux
raid and most of the documentation I can find is severely outdated
and/or written for someone who already understands linux raid.

I have successfully built a set raid 6 array with 4 drives and have
copied my system partitions onto the raid drives. I then reboot with
root=/dev/md0.

Everything looks like it is working right up through:

md/raid:md0 raid level 6 active with 4 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2
md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 1000131788
md: autorun DONE.
md0: unknown partition table
EXT3-fs (md0): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
features
EXT2-fs (md0): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
features
EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.  Opts: (null)
VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) readonly on device 9:0.
freeing unused kernel memory: 472k freed
It looks like the array got setup fine, the filesystem on it was mounted, and
then .... nothing.

I think at this point it should be running /sbin/init.

It doesn't seem like a RAID problem exactly.  Maybe something when wrong when
you copying the system partition into the RAID, but that is just a guess.

At this point we probably need to know at least what distro you are using.
There is probably some way to turn on tracing in the initrd and the boot
sequence, but it is different for different distros.

NeilBrown

I am using lunar linux. ( http://lunar-linux.org ). The kernel is 3.1.4 x86_64 confiugred with raid autodetect and the raid sets were built with -e 0.90.

--Richard