Re: meta: should i chase this down?

On 2011-12-07, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The best way I have found to catch kernel messages is using netconsole.
> See Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

That's exactly what I was looking for!  It looks like it's working
perfectly so far.  It sure beats the Back In My Day (TM) method of
needing a serial console.

> You almost certainly need some disks to make the RAID6 out of.  You could t=
> ry
> loop-back devices over files but the timing is likely to be very different
> and so the chance of reproducing the bug correspondingly small.

I do have some drive bays that I should be able to free up, and I think
that I have some free disks lying around I can use, which I think should
replicate a more real-life scenario.  I can't honestly say that this
will be a high priority for me :), but I do want to try to be helpful if
there really is a bug, or help myself if there's a problem in my
hardware.  It probably can't hurt to make a first pass with some
loopback devices--if it does crash the kernel, great (for debugging,
anyway); if not, I hunt down some real disks.  (Would using multiple
partitions on one or two disks be a reasonable test case, or should I
not bother and stick with real disks?)

Thanks for your help!

--keith

--