RE: Is this stupid?

I'm thinking more like 3 years or so.

> The real issue with booting from a USB stick (and the same rules apply
> to CF cards), is that some operations like syslogd sync writes can
> take forever and then some.

Yeah, that seems to be the main concern, along with the fact there is more
than one asynchronous process doing the writing.

> One other trick is to either use a more "flash friendly" file system,

Such as?  Of course both tmpfs and the hard drive are both 100% flash
friendly, which is the point.

> or at least turn off atime tracking.

Yeah, I've done that.  The writes to /var/log, /var/run, /var/lock, and /tmp
are 100% flash friendly at the moment.  They just aren't RAM friendly.  Of
course, with 512M of real memory and 512M of RAID array based swap, maybe
I'm just being a mother hen.  At the moment, only 71M of RAM is in use, and
none on the RAID array.  With the Ethernet interfaces set to use static IPs,
rsyslog is hardly putting out anything at all.  I have logrotate running
every hour, and all the logs limited to rather small sizes.  The biggest
offender is SAMBA, who has over 500K of files open in /var/run.