Re: Idea: Dynamic growth of the md array

On Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 11:53:59AM -0700, Terrance Hutchinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that mdadm supports growth of an array through the grow command
> but I would like to take it a step further. When a certain threshold
> is reach (user defined or default value) the user is emailed and the
> array is the grown to incorporate the next available disk or specified
> disk. This lets the user know what happened as well as prevent
> unnecessary downtime.
>
> The idea is to make the growth automatic if the user wishes it do so,
> otherwise the existing behavior would be used.
>
> Do you think this would be a good feature for mdadm? I've already
> begun working on it but wanted the community's opinion. If the overall
> consensus is that it's not a good idea, I'll post the diff on my
> website for those who would like it.

Sounds like a job for a user-space program to me. md/mdadm has no idea
about free space - that's a filesystem issue. It'd be far easier for a
user-space program to monitor that and fire off the appropriate
commands to grow the array, LVM volume, filesystem, etc. as required.

Cheers,
    Robin

--
     ___