Re: unable to recover RAID 5 due to bad block

Try --re-add.

Zitat von Chris Purves <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2011-11-10 12:20, Alexander Kühn wrote:
ddrescue to the rescue!
Get a another new disk, then ddrescue the one with the read error to the new disk. Assemble the array using the new disk instead of the one with the read error.
You will loose the blocks that can't be read of course.
And in the future do run raid check/scrubbing at regular intervals. ;)

I have tried this already. After cloning the disk with errors, I replaced it with the clone and tried to re-start the array using

mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md1

mdadm assigned the new disk as a spare and said there were only three disks to start the array and so couldn't start it.

After I clone the disk with the error, how precisely should I re-start the array?

--
Chris Purves