Re: mdraid write performance in different kernels up to 3.0, 3.0 shows huge improvement

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:28:57 +0100 (CET) Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have been running mdraid->cryptsetup/LUKS->lvm->xfs on Ubuntu AMD64 with
> RAID5 and now RAID6 for quite some time, dating back to 2.6.27. Around
> 2.6.32 I saw quite a bit of regression in write performance (probably the
> implementation of barriers), 2.6.35 was acceptable, 2.6.38 was really
> really bad, and 3.0 is like a rocket. Best of them all.
>
> I'm talking about 10-20x in different in write performance on my workload,
> in combination with the older kernels throwing me page allocation failures
> when the write load gets high, and also quite often the machine would just
> freeze up and had to be rebooted.
>
> With 2.6.38 I was down to 6-10 megabyte/s write speed, whereas 3.0 seem to
> give me 100+ megabyte/s with the exact same workload, I've seen up to 150
> megabyte/s writes at good times. This is on a box with AES-NI, so the
> crypto is not the limiting factor.

That is an amazing improvement.  I wish I know what caused it I really have
no idea.  You have quite a deep stack there and the change could be anywhere.

Still, it is good to hear such positive reports - thanks!

NeilBrown