Re: possibly silly question (raid failover)

David Brown wrote:

You are aware, of course, that if you take your 16 drives and use "-n8", you will get a total disk space equivalent to two drives. It would be very resistant to drive failures, but /very/ poor space efficiency. It would also be very fast for reads, but very slow for writes (as everything must be written 8 times).

It's your choice - md is very flexible. But I think an eight-way mirror would be considered somewhat unusual.

What would be particularly interesting is if I can do -n4 and configure things in a way that insures that each of those 4 is on a different one of my 4 boxes (4 boxes, 4 disks each).