Re: raid(1) and block caching

On 29/10/2011 07:26, NeilBrown wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:49:09 +0400 CoolCold<coolthecold@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]
As there are some pros and cons on both sides (at least theoretically)
  I have dumb question - let's say our array md1 consists on 3 drives -
/dev/sd{a,b,c} - and when data read from md1 occurs, which block is
cached in VFS (or may be other cache in system, it would be nice to
know which part of system is doing caching)  - the block from md1
itself or from certain drive? If it is drive-based block cache, it's
gonna be potentially memory wasting to keep 3 similar data copies, so
I assume md does data reads with something like O_DIRECT flag, but as
I 1) don't know C 2) don't know kernel, I'm asking this on the list to
make this clean for myself.

The kernel caches pages of files, not pages of devices.
It doesn't matter where the page of data came from - it is the page of a file
that is cached.

I suppose if the user was silly enough to mount the same filesystem from both md1 and sd{a,b,c} simultaneously then there could be duplication of caching, but as I say I think that'd be a silly configuration :-)

Cheers,

John.