Re: Converting from Raid 5 to 6

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:03:46 +0100 Michael Busby <michael.a.busby@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> should the speed be very slow when doing this progress, its a lot
> slower than a normal grow

Yes.
The array is being reshaped in-place.  i.e. data is being read from part of
the array, rearranged, and written back to the same part of the array.
As you can imagine, this is risky - a crash will leave an inconsistent state.
Hence the backup file.  Everything in the array is first written to the
backup file, then back to the array.  So it is slow.

A "normal" grow is writing to somewhere where there is no valid data, so it
doesn't need the backup.

I do have a plan to make this faster.... but I have lots of plans and little
time.

NeilBrown