Clarification behind md 1.0 superblock resync_offset and recovery_offset?

Hi group,

This is my first time posting on this mailing list. I've tried looking
in the archives, but didn't find what I was looking for. I am trying
to understand how the synchronization code in MD driver works, and I
am unsure about the exact relation between resync_offset
and recovery_offset for the 1.X SB format.

sb->resync_offset sets mddev->recovery_cp, which is the last sector
synchronized/recovered when md_do_sync exits, and isn't
used for recovery if a bitmap is used.

sb->recovery_offset sets rdev->recovery_offset, which seemingly is a
per-member-device recovery_cp, but updated at a finer granularity,
right?

I think my confusion might be stemming from a misunderstandig behind
what RECOVERY and SYNC implies. I thought that RECOVERY
means metadata cleanup, while RESYNC is actual syncing of data to
spares (or re-added previously faulty disks), but then why is there a
recovery offset? Why isn't a resync offset sufficient?

I'd be willing to submit a few documentation patches just to others
have an easier time of reading MD code :-).

Thank you,