Re: How to stress test an RAID 6 array?

On 10/3/11 4:24 PM, Joe Landman wrote:
[...]

nohup ./loop_check.pl 10 > out 2>&1 &

which will execute the fio against sw_check.fio 10 times. Each
sw_check.fio run will write and check 512GB of data (4 jobs, each
writing and checking 128 GB data). Go ahead and change that if you want.
We use a test just like this in our system checkout pipeline.

This *will* stress all aspects of your units very hard. If you have an
error in your paths, you will see crc errors in the output. If you have
a marginal RAID system, this will probably kill it. Which is good, as
you'd much rather it die on a hard test like this than in production.

You can ramp up the intensity by increasing the number of jobs, or the
size of the io, etc. We can (and do) crash machines with horrific loads
generated from similar tests, just to see where the limits of the
machines are at, and to help us tweak/tune our kernels for best
stability under these horrific loads. The base test is used to convince
us that the RAID is stable though.

I replaced SATA cables, updated the BIOS to the very last version,
ran/put hdparm -S0 /dev/sd[a-m] to /etc/rc.local and reset the BIOS to default settings.
It's running now and nothing broke so far.
Would it be enough to run one check with the sw_check.fio (I just changed the mount path) from your website to determine whether the RAID holds or not?

--

Marcin M. Jessa