Re: Green drives and RAID arrays with partity

On 09/25/2011 07:02 AM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
Hi guys.

I was wondering if it's safe to use so called green drives in RAID 5 or
RAID 6 with md?

You might need to turn off TLER and their power spin-down features, but in general, they *should* work ok. Modulo any firmware issues (staring intently at WD). We don't use Western Digital drives anymore due to ... er ... profound high failure rates we've observed in the field. These may or may not be connected to "greenness". They are definitely connected to buggy firmware (this is on enterprise and consumer drives, used across a fairly wide swath of use cases).

Your mileage may vary (e.g. you might have different experiences). We wouldn't recommend them.

Drive such as Seagate Barracuda® Green 2TB ST2000DL003 or Western
Digital Caviar® Green™ 2TB WD20EARX have TLER off and reading misc
forums I understand that it would be a good idea to buy drives with that
option available.

TLER and the power spindown option are good things to be able to turn off. Otherwise you need to have a way for the MD device to deal with a spun-down set of drives. I am not sure support is there for this right now ... I could be wrong, I've just not seen it.

This said, spinning up and down drives is actually more stressful for the electronics and motor. Better to leave them in one state whenever possible. I can't remember the study I saw on this, but about a year ago I saw a quietly published correlation between drive failures and number of spinup/spindown cycles. My memory might be off on it, so feel free to look for yourself (and don't rely upon my likely faulty memory).

On the other hand some people claim that Linux/Solaris/BSD based
software RAID may be able to work just fine with these drives.

If the drives don't try to be "smart" and do "smart things" (powerdown, unlimited Herculean error recovery, massive sector remapping that takes it out of service for more than 60 seconds), yeah, they should "just work". If you have a barrel full of these drives and need to use them, by all means, just turn off the "smart" features.

OTOH, if you are buying new drives, steer clear of them.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO