Re: potentially lost largeish raid5 array..

On 23/09/2011 07:10, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
On September 22, 2011, Roman Mamedov wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:49:12 -0600

Thomas Fjellstrom<tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
Now I guess the question is, how to get that last drive back in? would:

mdadm --re-add /dev/md1 /dev/sdi

work?

It should, or at least it will not harm anything, but keep in mind that
simply trying to continue using the array (raid5 with a largeish member
count) on a flaky controller card is akin to playing with fire.

Yeah, I think I won't be using the 3.0 kernel after tonight. At least the
older kernel's would just lock up the card and not cause md to boot the disks
one at a time.

I /really really/ wish the driver for this card was more stable, but you deal
with what you've got (in my case a $100 2 port SAS/8 port SATA card). I've
been rather lucky so far it seems, I hope my luck keeps up long enough for
either the driver to stabilize, me to get a new card, or at the very least, to
get a third drive for my backup array, so if the main array does go down, I
have a recent daily sync.

My own (limited) experience with SAS is that you /don't/ get what you pay for. I had a SAS drive on a server (actually a firewall) as the server salesman had persuaded me that it was more reliable than SATA, and therefore a good choice for a critical machine. The SAS controller card died recently. I replaced it with two SATA drives connected directly to the motherboard, with md raid - much more reliable and much cheaper (and faster too).