Re: making a hot spare ... hot

On 2011/09/21 06:05 AM, NeilBrown wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 05:30:17 +0200 Brendan Hide<brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all

To the point: When a disk is designated as a hot spare, would it be of
benefit to spread copies of data chunks from the other disks onto the
hot spare even before a failure? Has this been tried before?
I see what you are getting at, but I doubt the value justifies the extra
complexity.
If you want more redundancy and have a spare device - use RAID6.

NeilBrown
That makes sense then that there's no point in a hot spare when you're using RAID5 - as you say, rather use RAID6. This concept could be used on top of a RAID6 too. However, I also see what you mean by the complexity issue.

There's diminishing benefits when you have lots of disks and, with fewer disks, you're better off having a bigger RAID6. Given a typical RAID6 (8 disks-worth of capacity), the potential improvements are still *relatively* significant, but much less than the numbers given previously. Maximum potential numbers:
read speed improvement: 9.09%
sync progress at disk fail-time before any pro-active sync work starts: 12.5%

In my books, any trickery that improves integrity is a good thing but, until I have time to hack around in mdadm code (not likely at the moment), I guess I'll leave it to whoever else who thinks these numbers are worth it. :)

Thanks, all.

--
Brendan Hide

http://swiftspirit.co.za/