Re: Bootable Raid-1

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Resending because 1st letter was not delivered.

<snip>

>> grub2 work with raid1 boot partition and rootfs over mdadm raid1
>> i tested today (03:00 AM) on my ubuntu desktop
>
>        There wasn't really any question about that.  I've been running
> RAID1 boots under GRUB2 for months.  Prior to that, it was RAID1 under GRUB
> legacy.  RAID1 under GRUB legacy takes some finagling.  Under GRUB2 it
> should be straightforward as long as the partitioning is correct and one
> employs a 0.90 superblock for the /boot array.

Guys, basing on your experience, can you tell us, how does Grub2 react
on degraded raid? Does it respect md's point of view which disk is bad
and which is not? Does it cooperate well with mdadm in general?

Grub legacy was way easy, just setup on disk & read that disk, no raid
knowledge, no problems. I guess grub2 can be configured in that manner
too, but as it has raid/lvm/whatever support, may be give it a try...

I've got Debian Squeeze servers with grub2, without any mirroing, so
converting them into RAID1 system, wanna make it right.

--
Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]