Re: Raid5 to another raid level??

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:11:57 +0100 Michael Busby <michael.a.busby@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I am using the 3.0.0 kernel so that should not be a issue, have just
> upgraded mdadm on my box to 3.2.2 from 3.1.4
>
> would i be right in thinking that to get from raid0 to raid5 i would
> first have to change from raid0 to raid4 and add the extra disk for
> parity, once i am at this level i would need a command to get the
> parity data striped over the raid5 and not in a single disk like raid4
> or maybe there is a way to go from raid0 direct to raid5 by adding the
> extra disk and then having the parity data created and spread over the
> disks....

(I vaguely recall already replying to this but find no evidence - apologies
if this is a duplicate).

RAID0 to RAID5 does happen in two stages but only one rebuild is needed.
mdadm should make it all 'just work'.
i.e.
  mdadm -G /dev/md0 -l 5 --raid-devices=4 --add /dev/sdf \
  --backup-file=/root/md0-backup

This will:
   - convert the array from RAID0 to RAID5 in a 'parity-last' layout, which
     is really the same thing as RAID4.
   - 'freeze' recovery
   - add /dev/sdf as a spare
   - request a reshape to change the layout from 'parity-last' to
     'left-symetric'
   - 'unfreeze' recovery

Then the kernel will notice that a reshape is needed and allowed, will add
the spare and start reshaping the array and creating parity at the same time.

So you don't need an intermediate state of a complete RAID4 - a degraded
RAID4 is sufficient and handled automatically.

NeilBrown