Re: Raid5 to another raid level??

On 01/09/2011 22:50, Michael Busby wrote:
I have found the following and see that you can convert from raid4 to
raid0 fairly easy

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10412231&postcount=20

i have a 2 disk raid5 and want to be able to convert this to raid0, i
was thinking of adding a extra 2 disk and setting them up as raid0,
moving the data over then adding the original raid5 disks to the raid0
setup, but i see that you are unable to add disk to a raid0 setup,
would it be possible to setup a raid4 with 2 disks and 1 missing, move
the data from the raid5 to raid4 then add both of the original disks
to the raid4 the downgrade this to raid0???

Off the top of my head, feeling slightly sozzled (been for a few beers), this might work, but as your linked post referring to a list reply from Neil Brown says, you should test first. You could use some USB sticks, or alternatively loopback devices are ideal for this kind of test.

Cheers,

John.