Re: RAID1, changed disk, 2nd has errors ...

Am 26.08.2011 14:56, schrieb Robin Hill:

> This would indicate that sdb has been reset as a spare, suggesting
> that the resync failed so it has left sda alone in the array (as
> failing it would destroy the array).

oh my ...

So the array is somehow split-brain now? Some sectors good here, some
there??

Why is sda4 now flagged as (S)? Is it a spare or not?
I don't fully understand the current state of the array ...

> I'd suggest stopping the array and using ddrescue to clone sda4 to
> sdb4. That'll copy everything possible, flagging up any read
> issues. You'll then need to run a "fsck -f" on sdb4 to clear up
> any filesystem damage. You may still be left with damaged/missing
> files, depending on where any read errors occurred. How critical
> this is will depend on what the filesystem is used for (and whether
> you have any backup).

I am rather scared to do so ... as I am ~50kms away from the box now,
and as it seems to be working fine so far (though there are currently
no users working with it).

As mentioned /dev/md2 doesn't contain a filesystem itself, but is the
single PV in a LVM-volumegroup.

This group contains 6 logical volumes ...

As far as I understand it might be possible to spot the defective
sectors and the related LV?

I have backups, yes ...

> If that all works okay, then get sda replaced and give it a
> thorough badblocks and SMART test.
>
> I'd also advise setting up regular array checks (echo check >
> /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action) to make sure the disks are checked
> and any unreadable blocks repaired/mapped out _before_ they're
> needed for recovery.

re-adding sda4 and starting such a check would be possible?
Or would a re-add damage things?

Should I shutdown the box for safety?

I am really feeling unsafe now, and getting another hdd for swapping
will take me at least until monday.

(I would like to dd-rescue to another new disk to keep sdb, just in case)

Thanks, Stefan