Re: Do I have a bad HDD?

On 31 July 2011 19:25, Johannes Truschnigg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> PLEASE don't always quote everything you've just written a few minutes
> ago when replying to yourself. This makes these responses really, really
> inconvenient to read.
>
> Concerning your problem at hand: Don't panic, everything should be fine.
> Your RAID did what it is supposed to do: protect your from a single
> drive failure without inducing downtime. A disk has failed, and now it's
> time to replace it, that's nothing out of the ordinary. You don't need
> to shut down your system - RAID systems have "no service interruption in
> case of an accident" as a design goal, and md is rather good at meeting
> just that.
>
> If your SATA controller supports hotplug (and if it's SATA-300, that
> much is for certain), just unplug the old drive, replace it with a new
> one, clone your partition table setup (if any) from an old driver to the
> new one, have md pick up the disk and integrate it into your array, and
> see how everything'll be taken care of automatically. md will resync the
> array once the new disk is part of the array, and it will be smooth
> sailing again afterwards. Just make sure you don't pull out the wrong
> drive, but correctly identify the broken one. ;)
>
> While the array's being worked on, you can do whatever you intended to
> do with your seemingly healthy array from of a few hours ago - the only
> difference it that (some) things will go slower, but that's about it.
> The only serious problem you could run into is a second and third
> harddrive failing while your array isn't 100% OK again yet - but even in
> that case, you'd have a backup ready, now wouldn't you? :)
>

> --
> with best regards:
> - Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )
>
> www: http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
> phone: +43 650 2 133337
> xmpp: johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.

Sorry about that!

No I don't have a backup ;), perhaps it's time to get one. This isn't
super important data, more like "nice to have".

I don't have any hotplug bays or anything like that (you'll see in a
while after I put up the pictures) so I shut down the system to take
the faulty HDD out.

Is it wise to run a check on the array while it's degraded by 1 HDD?

Thanks again,
/Mathias