Re: data scrubbing

On 29 July 2011 21:48, Beolach <beolach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 07:25, Nikolay Kichukov <hijacker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a good to know!
>>
>> Just performed a check on a raid1 and got:
>>
>> Jul 29 15:37:36 hanna64 mdadm[2277]: RebuildFinished event detected on md device /dev/md1, component device  mismatches
>> found: 128
>>
>> So I presume those mismatches have now been rewritten to both disks successfully. Am I wrong there?
>>
>> cat /sys/block/md1/md/mismatch_cnt
>> 128
>>

> That depends on if you did a "check" or a "repair" - see the SCRUBBING
> AND MISMATCHES section of the md(4) man page:
> "If  check  was used, then no action is taken to handle the mismatch,
> it is simply recorded.  If repair  was  used,  then  a  mismatch  will
>  be repaired  in  the same way that resync repairs arrays."
>

> Good luck,
> Beolach
> --

Sorry to chime in like this. After reading the above, is there a
reason why anyone shouldn't _always_ use repair instead of check on a
weekly RAID6 check? You have to run repair anyway after a check if any
issues are found, right?

Or does the system become vulnerable during a repair? (less redundant)

Thanks,
Mathias