Re: how to recover filesystem after clobbering array?

Just to make data restoring a bit safer - one can use device mappers's
snapshot feature as it can snapshot _any_ block device, you can create
snapshots of say /dev/sda1 & /dev/sdb1 , then do your raid experiments
on that snapshotted devices.

More info http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/device-mapper/snapshot.txt
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2004-July/msg00071.html

--