Re: Confusion with setting up new RAID6 with mdadm

Luca Berra <bluca <at> comedia.it> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 05:36:38PM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> > *If I have to reformat the drives and redo mdadm --create, other than mdadm
> > stop, how can I get rid of all the /dev/md* etc etc so that when I restart
> > this exercise, the original bad RAID does not interfere with this new
> > attempt?
>
> mdadm -Ss
> mdadm --zero-superblock on each partition
> >

> > *Partition alignment?
> > Is this relevant for modern HDs (I'm using 5900rpm Seagate 2TB drives)
> for modern hdds with 4k sectors it is
> new fdisk and/or parted should already know how to align
> in any case, since you want to use the whole space for raid, why create
> partitions at all, md works nicely without

Hello,
first thank you for the interesting topic (because it fits my questions ^^) and
for all the participation of this community to this topic !

I've read somewhere (sorry I can't remind it) that the raid still could be
unaligned by using the whole disk, and so we had to create a partition aligned
(by using fdisk -u, then creating a partition beginning at LBA 64 at least, and
that would span on a length multiple of 8.

Was it totally wrong ?

Tanguy