Re: Software RAID and TRIM

Tom De Mulder wrote:
Maybe I should have specified--my particular aim is to try and use (fairly high-end) consumer SSDs for "enterprise" server applications

That's exactly what we do.
After all, "RAID" is still the acronym for "Redundant Array of _Inexpensive_ Disks", no matter how many times big-$$$ will try to tell you otherwise.

And a software RAID built from some cheap consumer SSDs easily outperforms those overpriced "enterprise class" SSD devices they try to sell you.

Most hardware RAID controllers that I know of don't pass on the TRIM command

Not only that, they also suck regarding adding lots of latency to the SSD communication.
There simply is no reason anymore to use hardware RAID at all.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg