Re: Recommended sw raid setup

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Simon Matthews
<simon.d.matthews@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, for the original question: for a home system, do you really need
> the uptime  that RAID provides? I suspect not -- in that case, put
> your money into backups, not RAID.

If it suits your needs, I think a RAID setup is perfectly acceptable.
I have a RAID-5 array in my desktop computer at home. I have never had
a drive failure, though I have simulated it to practice replacing a
drive without loosing any data.

For myself, the reasoning was mostly to combine a bunch of drives into
one large logical volume, which greatly reduces workflow overhead.
That I can suffer a single drive failure and not have to resort to
restoring from a backup is simply a nice-to-have. I still backup my
important files to an external hard-drive on a semi-regular basis, but
there is much less mission-critical data (photos, documents) than
stuff that is simply annoying to lose (music and movies).

-S

--
Scott Armitage, B.A.Sc., M.A.Sc. candidate
Space Flight Laboratory