Re: Software RAID and TRIM

On 28/06/11 17:31, Tom De Mulder wrote:
Hi,

I'm investigating SSD performance on Linux, in particular for RAID devices.

As I understand it—and please correct me if I'm wrong—currently software
RAID does not pass through TRIM to the underlying devices. TRIM is
essential for the continued high performance of SSDs, which otherwise
degrade over time.

I don't think there would be any harm in this command being passed
through to underlying devices if they don't support it (they would just
ignore it), and if they do it would make high-performance software RAID
of SSDs a possibility.

Is this something that's in the works?

I don't think you are wrong about software raid not passing TRIM down to the device (IIRC, it /can/ be passed down through LVM raid setups, but they are slower and less flexible than md raid).

However, AFAIUI, you are wrong about TRIM being essential for the continued high performance of SSDs. As long as your SSDs have some over-provisioning (or you only partition something like 90% of the drive), and it's got good garbage collection, then TRIM will have minimal effect.

TRIM only makes a big difference in benchmarks which fill up most of a disk, then erase the files, then start writing them again, and even then it is mainly with older flash controllers.

I think other SSD-optimisations, such as those in BTRFS, are much more important. These include bypassing or disabling code that is aimed at optimising disk access and minimising head movement - such code is of great benefit with hard disks, but helps little and adds latency on SSD systems.

(I haven't done any benchmarks to justify this opinion, nor have I direct links - it's based on my understanding of TRIM and how SSDs work, and how SSD controllers have changed between early devices and current ones.)