Re: mdadm and disk failures

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:37:31 -0700
Mike Power <mpower@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  From what I understand when a hard drive loses a block it replaces it
> with another block but it can not recover the data.
> If it read from the disk that had the block it gets garbage for data.

This is not true, an HDD will never return garbage data just because it needed
to remap a bad sector. And that's the reason why bad sectors will return I/O
error (unreadable) instead, and are not remapped anywhere until you try to
WRITE into these sectors. At that moment, when the hard disk has new user data
for that sector, it can finally do the remap and put it somewhere else on a
remapped good sector.

--
With respect,
Roman