Disk upgrade

I'm running out of room in a box to add drives, so I want to go to larger drives. Unfortunately I have but one bay left. What I would like to do is put in a single drive, create a raid-10f2 array with a missing device, and copying all of the data off the existing arrays onto the raid-10 array, then diddling the boot so I can get up off the new drive, removing the old drives, adding another new drive and adding that to the array, along with a spare, perhaps.

Any particular problems with that plan? It leaves the existing drives intact, and critical data is backup via rsync on both a removable device and to network storage.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have