Re: HBA Adaptor advice

On 23/05/11 03:25, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

And that backup array may fail you when you need it most:  during a
restore.  Search the XFS archives for the horrific tale at University of
California Santa Cruz.  The SA lost ~7TB of doctoral student research
data due to multiple WD20EARS drives in his primary storage arrays *and*
his D2D backup array dying in quick succession.  IIRC multiple grad
students were forced to attend another semester to redo their
experiments and field work to recreate the lost data, so they could then
submit their theses.

So I "googled" that thread, and after I picked my way past all the top rating hits which appear to be you telling people to google that thread I found the real problem.

He used WD commodity drives on a "hardware" RAID enclosure that needed TLER. The RAID-5 kicked out 4 drives in a short period of time, so he power cycled it and re-initialised the array and it came up fine, but blank (as it would as he re-initialised it).

Sorry Stan, that's not a failure of the drives. He lost the data due to limitations in his RAID configuration and bad management.