Re: HBA Adaptor advice

On 21/05/11 04:58, Tobias McNulty wrote:

* SYBA SD-PEX40031 (Pericom PI7C9X111 + Silicone Image Sil3124
chipset) - lots of errors during heavy I/O such as resyc'ing

Oh dear.. Gee, another item of useless anecdotal evidence directly attributable to cheaply manufactured cards from a third world country and no direct correlation to a flaky chipset design.

* 3ware 9650SE-8LPML-Sgl - I thought money would solve the problem,
but I didn't realize that you can't use an expensive RAID card to
access existing data on the disk

Ahh..

* Supermicro AOC-Saslp-MV8 - I thought it would be a perfect match
given my Supermicro motherboard, but also gave me lots of errors
during heavy I/O and this experience seems to be confirmed by other
users in this thread

Oh dear.. Yes, the mvsas driver has been noted to be somewhat problematic still.

I hope you're not a betting man. 3 for 3 is not a great record thus far. On the up-side the 7042's have been as solid as a rock.. and _fast_ for the last couple of years. Marvell worked with Mark Lord and the result was a workable version of the sata_mv driver. Shame they don't do the same with the mvsas code.

Additionally, I migrated two arrays from the Marvell7042 controllers onto the LSI based "IBM" controllers configured up as JBOD and they just worked. No initialisation or reconfiguration required at all.

Brad