Re: Software raid, booting and bios

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Phil Turmel wrote:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adidecf.asp

(Just to show what's out there.) The embedded boards I use occasionally have the equivalent of this soldered to their motherboards.

The best DMA capable CF cards are usually found in markets that cater to industrial designers or to professional photographers.

FWIW: I've built a few systems which boot off flash, then run from SATA drives - but it all depends on the motherboards. These days there are many IDE (and now SATA) drives - maybe the forerunner to SSD's... e.g. I use these sort of things:

  http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=129

It's easy to have root on a small flash IDE drive then the rest of the system on RAID'd SATA drives. (swap, /usr, /var, /home, etc.)

Is that good? I don't know - but I also build lots of small embedded systems (no drives) for other purposes which boot off these type of devices and I've not had an issue with one failling in 5+ years...

Motherboards are increasingly not coming with IDE ports though, but things move on!

Gordon