Re: HBA Adaptor advice

On 5/19/2011 8:26 AM, Ed W wrote:
Hi, following on from a recent thread, can folks with decent
multi-port HBA adaptors please chime in with some model numbers of
known decent adaptors please?

The required use is to grow from currently 8 ish drives to perhaps
12-24 drives per machine. (It partitions out as: one or more RAID6
arrays for data, plus a couple of backup drives)

Ideally I would like a controller with writeback cache and BBU since
whilst this office machine is likely quite underused, for any
sensible amount of IO (some of the other machines we might upgrade)
this seems to give a 10-100x increase in IOPs? For the moment it's
just a nice to have though

I only intend to use linux software raid, so any onboard raid
functionality is just a liability. Budget is either low £100 ish for
multi-port HBAs without cache, up to £1000 ish for 16-24 port high
performance cache controllers:

I've been using a SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (which is on your avoid list), which reports itself as:

class: SCSI
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: mvsas
desc: "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV64460/64461/64462 System Controller, Revision B"
vendorId: 11ab
deviceId: 6485
subVendorId: 15d9
subDeviceId: 0500

I've had it about 6 months at this point with SATA drives hooked up to it. The issues that I've had with it dropping disks from the 6-disk RAID-10 array on CentOS 5.5 / 5.6 can probably be traced to:

Not using enterprise grade SATA disks (as the consumer brand takes too long to timeout on a bad seek, and mdadm dropped it from the array). Possibly combined with using a really inexpensive set of removable drive trays. There were a lot of times after the weekly resync where the entire array went offline due to multiple drives being dropped.

Under normal operation it reads/writes to the disks fine and works fine as a controller. Since this is my own personal server, I have not tested it with good SAS disks or enterprise SATAs and good drive enclosures. I've since switched over to just hooking up a pair of RAID1 arrays to it with a direct connect from the card to the drives (no removable trays), but I don't have enough time on the new setup to say that the problem is permanently fixed yet.

The card is inexpensive, which is a plus. It's a PCIe x4 card. I don't know whether it would be better behaved with a better class of disks / enclosures.